-->

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Naming Dragon Species

As mentioned in previous posts, I've been terrible with putting off certain things in my writing, such as world-building. I have one story which I haven't worked on much lately, instead focusing on other projects or doing nothing at all.
In example, I have a dragon species which needs an official name. Since I haven't been working on the story where this dragon species is mentioned, it's become easier to procrastinate on the task.
However, a new development has occurred, and it seems I now have little choice in the matter. The spokesperson (spokesdragon?) for the species has announced to me that they're growing impatient of waiting and I'd best get a move on. As such, I've been feverishly working to find a name, lest I face the wrath of fire-breathing creatures.

I rush through the rocky terrain, breathless from my haste. Finally, I stop before an enormous red dragon, who stares down at me with critical eyes. "Good news!" I say. "I finally came up with a species name!"
The dragon makes a rumbling, chuffing noise from deep in his chest, a dragon's way of laughing. "Is that so?" he asks me telepathically, a disbelieving tone in his voice.
"Yes, I finally did! I know I've been putting it off lately, and I know you and the others have been getting impatient, but..."
"Do not grovel like a lap dog. It is unbecoming, and a waste of breath." the dragon interrupts.
"Yes, sorry. Anyway, I know you guys are going to love it."
"Let's hope so." the dragon says, gazing down at me through narrowed eyes. "We've been waiting a long time for this species name, and if we're not pleased with what you've come up with, well... we might, how do you people put it, take matters into our own hands. Or in our case, our own jaws. Do you understand my meaning?"
I swallow hard, and a knot of tension forms in my belly. "Yes."
"I doubt thinking of a name for a regal dragon species like ours is as difficult as you appear to make it. Perhaps if we are displeased with your choice of name, we'll create one for ourselves. How does 'Puny-Human-Eating Dragon' sound?"
"Well, uh, I doubt it'll endear you to many people." I stammer, trying to keep my knees from knocking together.
The dragon growled. "Do you think I'm interested in people's fear of me? They, who enslave our kind and treat us as nothing?" His tail lashes with anger at the thought.
"No." I said. "No, I suppose not." I try to keep my voice from trembling.
"Well, what is this name, then?" he asks, looking irritable.
I straighten up, preparing to regale him with this terrific name. Opening my mouth, I tell him the species name I chose, a name which describes well this particular variety of dragon. Then I wait expectantly for his response to my brilliance.

I'd like to add that I'm writing this blog post from the belly of a rather large draig. (Yes, I'm still using the placeholder name, as my species name was obviously rejected.) The angry dragons have decided to take matters into their own jaws, and choose a name themselves. I doubt I'll find out what it is, as I expect to be digested before a decision is made. From now on, I imagine the job of telling everyone's stories will fall to some of the characters I've met and grown to love. When you read this post, let Xander and Zephyr know that I'll miss them, and I'm deeply sorry for the misfortune they've faced.


Sincerely,
Dragon Fodder


No comments:

Post a Comment