-->

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Placeholder Names

Let's face it, as writers, we want the perfect names for everything. We're perfectionists in every way, always striving for perfection in spelling, grammar, plot, character development, etc. And did I mention we want everything to be perfect?
However, there are times when we have to mention something in our story, though we haven't decided yet what it's going to be called. That's what placeholder names are for. Just a temporary blob of letters until you decide the name of that character, or town, or landmass, or fictional man-eating plant species. Come to think of it, sometimes placeholder names can have some amusing results. Let's explore some examples, shall we?


Person 1:  I'm thinking of going to Island.
Person 2:  Really? I'm from northern Island, the kingdom of Homeland! In fact, I have a map of Island in my bag!
Person 1:  Yeah, I always thought Island would be a nice island to live on.
Person 2:  Oh, the Isle of Island is the best!

Writer:  Let's see, I haven't decided what this dragon species will be called. I'll just tack on a placeholder name.
Writer:  Okay, I need a draig for this scene now.
(every dragon in the area approaches)
Writer:  What in... you're a mountain drake! And you two are tiny river drakes! Good heavens, you could swallow a draig whole. And you're not even close to what I need for this scene!
Dragon 1:  Oh. Well, you didn't specify, you see.
Dragon 2:  Yeah, you just called for a dragon. You didn't say what kind of dragon.
Writer:  Okay, maybe I need to choose a less vague term for my placeholder name...

Writer:  Good news! My character finally left Doomland!
Friend:  Uh, okay. (stares at Writer like she's lost her mind)
Writer:  Yeah, he escaped Why-Me, traversed the Forests of Pain, and got his dragon back from Meanie-head. Now that he's away from Doomland, he can travel through Whatchamacallit and meet the Whozits.
Friend:  (finishes making mysterious phone call) That's really great. Go on.
Writer:  So anyway, Little Thief is constantly causing trouble. When Sweets Girl isn't secretly feeding him under the table, that is. They're living in the village of Something-or-Another, and... hey, what's this guy doing with a giant butterfly net? Did you call him here, Friend? Get away from me!
Guy:  Come on, we've got a nice padded room for you in Whatchamacallit.
Writer:  Help!

Writer:  So anyway, my characters were imprisoned, suffered various injuries, had to sneak around to avoid law officers, nearly got arrested again, were in mortal peril multiple times... Really, they had a miserable time in Lwcusia.
Person:  Lwcusia? They suffered all of that, and the name of the place means 'good fortune'?
Writer:  Well, I tried to call it 'Anffodusia', but no one wanted to live there.
Character:  Yeah, the name just didn't catch on. Don't know why.
Person:  Yes, better to use false advertising. (rolls eyes)

No comments:

Post a Comment