-->

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

April Fools on Discord

As you know, the first day of April is known as April Fools' Day. It's a day of trickery, of pranks and diabolical schemes. Last April, one of my online friends on Discord decided to cause chaos, which soon led to full-scale insanity.

It was around 9:45. Since she lives in a different time zone, it was a bit later for her. We were discussing something, and I asked if she had seen a certain blog post.

Online friend changing her screen name and avatar to match mine, as an April Fools' prank

To my confusion, her reply came up listed as mine. I stared at it in confusion for a moment, thinking that Discord had glitched, then suddenly remembered it was April 1st for her. I looked at the members list, and there were two people with my avatar and screen name.
At one point, we saw a member appear as online briefly, then disappear again. We then joked that the member probably saw us goofing around and decided she didn't want to get involved in the insanity.

Must be why she left. 'Whatever this nonsense is, I don't wanna get involved.'

Our clowning around continued, and we started pretending to be each other. We changed our screen names to 'Real Meowmocha' and 'Fake Meowmocha', and acted out parodies of each other. I complained about my 'philosophy homework', while she claimed she was procrastinating on blog posts. We were basically picking on ourselves and each other at times. Under the guise of my friend, I pointed out how I've probably been on the same chapter of my manuscript for a thousand years now. 

Screen names: 'Queen Meowmocha II' and 'Queen Meowmocha III'.

After a while, we were changing our screen names repeatedly, just for the fun of it. It grew progressively more ridiculous as time went on.

Screen names: 'Flower-faced owl' and 'Gronw died'.

Screen names: 'Flower-faced owl' and 'What is a Flower-faced owl'.

At one point, I became a character from Welsh mythology, and put on a dramatic routine.


Pretending to be my friend, I crafted an elaborate story about pranking someone in the dorm, then claimed I got into enormous trouble for it. My friend, of course, played along, acting like she was me and shocked by this behavior.

Laughing at prank, then announcing they're in trouble and on probation

Worrying about being in trouble, then saying 'April Fools, I'm not in trouble at all!'

Then we were joking about our real identities, our real faces, and I got even goofier. I announced I was going to reveal my real face and name, then changed my avatar to Nicholas Cage making a creepy face, and my screen name to a 'Gilmore Girls' reference.

Fine, I'll reveal my real self. Just a moment... (becomes Squeegee Beckenheim)

At one point, another member of our Discord group was trying to figure out who was who, and we kept changing things up to keep her guessing. In addition, we started joking that she was probably faking too, and was actually a different member.

By the end of the day, we caused so much bewilderment. At times, the two of us even forgot which post belonged to who. My friend said that she got confused at one point when looking back at earlier posts. All in all, it was a fun day.
And now if you'll excuse me, I have to pull some tricks on people for this year's April Fools. Until next week, folks! Live long and prosper, and beware of pranks!

No comments:

Post a Comment