-->

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Foods I'm Reluctant to Eat

Food is good. Especially when it's chocolate. Or caramel, or butterscotch, or more chocolate. Maybe some cake, brownies, cookies, fudge... (drool)
Sorry, got carried away there. There's also spaghetti, cream of asparagus soup...
Anyway, my characters just waved a tub full of raw seafood in my face, so I've lost my appetite now. Today's blog post is about the foods I'm hesitant about, either from personal experience or just because. Some of them smell or look gross, and some of them are disgusting to even think about.


Sashimi

Not to be confused with sushi, sashimi is (ugh) raw fish. Anything involving raw meat is just... no. Also, I think fish is disgusting when it's cooked, so having it raw is double the ickiness. I'll pass on eating this one.

Sashimi plate
As a side note, whose idea was it to leave the heads attached on the shrimp? Your food has dead eyes just staring at you.


Caviar

Basically, it's salt-cured fish eggs. Here we go with fish again. If I go my entire life without eating those things, which I imagine are slimy, squishy, gross... well, I doubt I'd regret that missed experience.

Varieties of caviar on spoons

As a humorous side note, I recall reading some of the "Hank Zipzer" series by Henry Winkler when I was a kid. In one book, Hank and his family were given caviar to eat. There was no way he was going to eat that, so he surreptitiously dumped it out the window. It landed on an air conditioner, if I recall, where it sat for a while until a pigeon finally ate it. But really, who can blame the kid.


Marmite, Vegemite

As near as I can guess from its appearance, it's something used to make road tar. I once saw construction workers paving roads with buckets of the stuff. Google Images shows pictures of engine sludge that bear resemblance to the strange food spread.

Vegemite, Marmite, yeast extract.

Both of these products are a yeast extract. Its reputation for being an acquired taste, and Wikipedia describing them as having a "powerful flavor... extremely salty... love it or hate it" makes me hesitant. Maybe it'll be something savory and tasty, and maybe it'll rate on my list of most disgusting foods. Maybe I'll give it a try one day, but I'm not sure I'll like it.


Velveeta

Some sort of processed cheese nastiness, sold in disgusting blocks. It doesn't smell good, so why would I want to eat it? Then again, it's supposed to taste like American cheese, and I don't like that either. It's softer and smoother than the cheese, but I doubt it will go down my throat any easier.

Velveeta cheese. Box, sliced product.


Cheese Curds

I recall a car ride, I think for a field trip in high school. One of the boys was eating this smelly, awful thing he brought with him. At one point, he offered the horrid stuff to me, and I declined. Based on how it smelled, I'd probably gag the instant the stuff touched my tongue. You can have those cheese curds, I have no desire to consume them.

White cheddar cheese curds in a clear bowl


Organs and Other Horrors

Stuff like liver and onions, intestines, and some which don't bear mentioning at all. I mean, some of these are really gross body parts. And headcheese is out, thank you very much. I don't want to see slimy, squishy, wrinkly brains on my plate.

Slimy, nasty-looking beef liver

While we're here, I'm also saying no to blood sausage, also known as blood pudding or black pudding. When Dracula bites me and turns me into a vampire, I might consider it. Until then, my answer is no.


Escargot

Behold, cooked snails. And behold, my total lack of interest in eating them. I mean, they're soft, slimy things with antennae. It's right up there with eating bugs. Some say that escargot is good, but I don't know, it's just not high in my list of things I want to eat.



Digestive Biscuits

This doesn't qualify as a food I'm unwilling to eat, but I thought I'd give it honorable mention for sounding unappetizing. It sounds like a dry, bland thing you eat to soothe an upset stomach.
The product was originally developed by Scottish doctors, believing the sodium bicarbonate used in the recipe would aid digestion. They're described as having a flavor similar to graham crackers, though not as sweet. Today, digestive biscuits are widely sold throughout the UK, and also come in chocolate. Their description also sounds far better than their name. But what can I say, the Wikipedia article mentioned chocolate.

Box of McVitie's digestive biscuits- milk chcoolate

No comments:

Post a Comment