-->

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Mornings With a Cat

Recently, I was pet-sitting at someone's house. I was lying in bed asleep, and having an odd dream. Me, my mother, and a friend were doing something. Then Mom and I were about to leave in the car. We had a neighbor, a woman who was like a maternal figure to my friend, and my friend was going to stay at her house.
The friend asked if she could come with me. Thinking she meant walking with me to the car, I said yes. Instead, she got into the back seat with me, and we left.
"Wait, did you even tell her that you were going with us?" I asked.
My friend replied that she hadn't. I suggested calling our neighbor to let her know. I was trying to dial the number, but had the wrong area code the first time, and had to start over. Realizing I forgot the last part of the phone number, I asked, "What were the last four numbers?" Everyone was either giving no reply, or answering with something cryptic and nonsensical. "Fine, never mind then." I finally said in exasperation.

LG Revere 3 black flip phone. Mobile phone, cell phone.

Some other things occurred, then abruptly, the dream went south. Without warning, there was a pressure on my throat, and I wondered for a brief moment if someone was choking me.
This unpleasant sensation caused me to wake up, and I opened my eyes. After a moment, it registered that I was clumsily flailing my hands in front of me, and there was a small housecat in the midst of this scene. Whereas moments earlier she was walking over my motionless form, she now found herself trying to stumble out of the waving hands. The offending paw left the hollow at the base of my throat as she tried to move away.

Light brown mackerel tabby cat

Unfortunately, continuing on her way proved difficult, as her hind claw snagged on my pajama top. I had to take her paw and pull the fabric away from it. I lay there groggily for a few minutes, the cat sitting on a nearby desk and regarding me with an odd expression (probably thinking humans are a strange lot), then decided to get up and feed the animals.
So that was how I started my morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment