-->

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Lost and Found

Several months ago, my mother and I went on a trip. She withdrew some money so she'd have cash for the trip. However, the money was misplaced prior to leaving. We looked around for it, but could find no trace of the elusive green bills. Finally, we gave up on finding it, and Mom was disappointed that she lost such a sum.
Fast forward to Christmastime. We opened gifts at my aunt's house, and upon leaving to go home, we put our presents in bags for easier transport. Later on, Mom looked through the bag, and discovered one of the small gifts was missing. She hunted for it, and asked my aunt if an unclaimed gift had been found at the house, but without luck. To her greater frustration, she soon realized that she had lost not one, but two things.

Christmas, holiday-themed gift bag with snowflakes

The following day, my mother went with my brother to run errands. I stayed at home, and while waiting for them to return, I thought, Hey, maybe I should check under the couch. Something might have fallen into the crevices.
Since it's a reclining couch, I pushed the button to bring the footrest out, then looked beneath it. I didn't see anything resembling what Mom recently lost, though I did discover a sealed bank envelope. I opened it, and saw that the receipt was from several months ago. Remembering the money that mysteriously disappeared many moons ago, I wondered if perhaps this was it.
When Mom returned, I told her, "I have good news and bad news. Bad news, I didn't find either of the gifts you lost. Good news, I found this."
I handed her the money, and she realized it was the cash she got out for the trip. After the bitter disappointments of earlier, she had been in a crummy mood, and she was thrilled by the discovery. She thanked me about fifty times, told everyone the wonderful news, hired skywriters to announce the joyous event... Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit.

That wraps up this week's blog post. Be sure to grab a complementary bag of confetti on your way out.

Bag of confetti

No comments:

Post a Comment