-->

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

'Book Habit and Currently Reading' Questionnaire

I have been tagged again in a post! About eight hundred years ago, Deborah Kelty wrote a Q&A blog post, and invited me to do the same. I then started this post, couldn't think of great answers for some of the questions, and left it sitting in my drafts. And now I finally made myself finish, so here we go. 



What books do you remember reading that kick-started your bookworm habit?

(thinks back to life in the womb, when I was reading a book) Um, that's a bit too far back to really be sure of. I've just always liked reading. Well, except my math textbooks, those were less fun.
For the sake of contributing examples, the earliest books I recall are my family members reading Dr. Seuss to me, and me reading comic books like Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, and Archie.


What genre, or genres, would you normally choose?

I read fantasy, a bit of sci-fi, realistic fiction, and some non-fiction. Hmm, at some point I'll have to put a reading list on my blog. But I have a rather long to-do list, half of which I forget or put off when it's convenient to tackle, so that might get done by next week, or next decade. (Probably next decade.)


Do you eat while you read and if yes, what exactly?

I don't usually read during meals, but sometimes I snack while I read. And really, what I eat kind of varies. I try to avoid overly messy foods when reading, though, such as Cheetos. But I'll gladly eat cookies, candy, nuts, and all sort of other stuff. Really, the list would be too long to try delving into. 


Are there any scenes from your favorite novels that you remember vividly?

I recently read 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Diana Wynne Jones, and there were tons of great scenes. Like when Howl brings Michael and Sophie with him into the real world, for example. They entered the land of epic, where Howl took them on an unspeakably horrid ride in his deathtrap of a horseless carriage (it was a car). He goes to see his sister, and Howl's niece comes running up to him all excited to see him, and their interactions are so sweet.
Howl then goes to speak with his nephew. When they get there, his nephew's friends tell him not to interrupt or the kid will lose his life. Sophie and Michael back off upon hearing this, but Howl has no qualms about killing his nephew, and pulls up the magical boxes by the roots (he unplugged the computer his nephew was playing a game on).

There's also some good scenes from Christopher Paolini's 'Inheritance Cycle'. Like Saphira's terrific sarcasm and witty comebacks. "Eragon. Eragon." "Is that you can say?" "Yes." Or the running joke where Saphira says "oops" after making a mistake too big for "oops" to cover, like almost destroying something or setting Eragon on fire.


Were there any least favorites?

Least favorite scenes, or least favorite books? Well, there's been books I've liked, but didn't enjoy certain scenes because a good character died or some horrible event occurred. And there's been instances where I liked the story up until the end. The 'Divergent' series and the 'Hunger Games' trilogy both did this to me. 'Divergent' didn't have the happy ending I expected, and 'Hunger Games' seemed rushed in the final chapters and left unanswered questions. Both series also have the 'characters die and bad stuff happens' problem, too. That's life in dystopia, I guess, bad stuff happens.
And if you want least favorite books/series in general, let me get the list. (unfurls mile-long scroll) I think the worst examples are when you're assigned to read it for school, so you have to suffer through it. Like '1984' by George Orwell or 'Like of Pi' by Yann Martel. Or when a story seems like it'll be good, and then you read it and it's not. Like 'The Fallen Moon' series by K.J. Taylor, which I thought would be a cool fantasy series, but the story started to get weird and eventually lost my interest.


So, as you're a bookworm, what are you reading currently?

Well, when I originally started this post, (and before I forgot to finish it and left it sitting in 'drafts' forever) I was on 'The High King' by Lloyd Alexander, the final book in the 'Chronicles of Prydain'. See what you've caused, Nate Philbrick? Now I'm in love with this series.
And right now, I'm supposed to be reading J.R.R. Tolkien's translations of the epic poems 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight', 'Pearl', and 'Sir Orfeo'; and I'm reading 'The Princess Bride' by William Goldman.


How's it getting along for you?

In the first book, I'm still on the first story, 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'. The bookmark hasn't moved from its place in over a month, though, as I've been reading other things. In 'The Princess Bride', I'm over halfway through.


Have you then got a large bookshelf, or do you plan to?

Well, at one point I had lots of bookshelves, but since we recently moved and much of it is packed away, I just have boxes, only one of which is in my room. And then I have some books in a drawer of my bed frame, a Bible in one compartment of my headboard, and a stack of books in another headboard compartment. Eventually I hope to have my books in better, more organized places, though.


Do you have a liking to indie or traditional books?

I read a lot of traditionally published books, but I've read a few self-published books as well, such as the 'Darkwoods' series by Marta Stahlfeld.


And lastly, do you plan to promote reading in some way, or already are?

Well, I plan to write novels, so I'd kind of prefer it if people read. It makes promoting my stories hard otherwise. Really, I'm all for reading in general. In fact, if you can't decide what to read next, I have some suggestions for you... (pulls out a thousand-mile-long scroll)

1 comment: