-->

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Unexpected Call

My friend is getting married, and asked if I wanted to be a bridesmaid. I found a dress, got it fitted, and was going to pick it up. But then the virus outbreak said, "Nope." The wedding is postponed, and the bridal shop is closed. I got a voicemail saying that they would call me later about arranging to have the dress delivered to my house.
Now, I have all my contacts set to a custom ringtone, and my default ringtone is 'no ring'. After answering wrong numbers (I've had this phone for two years, quit calling for Angie or so help me...) and automated messages that are the phone equivalent of spam mail, I got tired of it. Plus, there's nothing like having your cell phone ring early in the morning, waking you from a dead sleep, just to hear a recording of "This is Travel Rewards Service, calling for what's probably a scam."
But considering I was waiting for David's Bridal to call, and wasn't sure if they'd use the same number or call from a different one, I changed my default ringtone so I would hear it if an unfamiliar number phoned me. And I had to wait for them to call; I tried calling them back, but only got a recording about the stores being closed, with no option to speak with anyone or even leave a message.

Tumbleweed rolling across the ground
(tumbleweeds roll by, because nobody's here at David's Bridal)

Anyway, they finally called about it, and the dress was delivered shortly afterwards. But I apparently forgot to change my ringtone settings back to what they were before.
Flash forward in time, I went to check the mail, and my phone rang. I eventually realized the music I was hearing was my ringtone, so I pulled my phone from my pocket. It wasn't the local area code, it was for where I used to live. But I didn't recognize the number, either.
Answered it, and it was one of my friends, announcing that she had a phone again, and a new number for that phone. I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood while I talked to her. The weather was okay when I first left, but gradually got warm and icky. Saw a black cat cross the street. And at one point, I had paused while walking, and a dog randomly appeared and sniffed curiously at me. Think it might have been a greyhound.

Greyhound, sighthound- white with reddish spots
Not a picture of the actual dog I encountered, but it looked something like this.

Then my phone gave a beep that I've learned to associate with unhappiness. Apparently I didn't have much battery left when I set out, because now it was giving low battery warnings. So after an hour of chatting, I got off the phone with my friend and started heading back. My phone gave a few more beeps en route to the house, its empty battery symbol flashing.
But anyway, there's sometimes an advantage to forgetting stuff. Had I remembered to change my phone's settings to prevent it ringing for unfamiliar numbers, I would have missed my friend's call. And hey, when it finally rang for an unknown number, it wasn't a telemarketer!

No comments:

Post a Comment