-->

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Translation Fails

When it comes to translating things, or trying to use another language, some interesting errors can occur. Maybe they're made by people, or perhaps technology's lame attempts to convert one tongue into another. For this week's post, I've gathered some examples of the phenomenon.


A high school teacher once told an amusing story. Apparently, a student came into a Spanish class, and there was something he didn't have. He started to ask for it in English, only to be told that there was a rule that the class had to say everything in Spanish. So, he started his question over, this time in Spanish. "I need..." However, he messed up the last word, and wound up saying "I need a circumcision."

Once, I saw a post on Twitter that consisted of an image and a caption in another language. I wanted to know what it said, so I put into Google Translate. The result? "Gower's son is endless". Thanks so much for that accurate translation. I applaud your ability to turn the language of heaven into the language of nonsense.

Translation error on sign- Welsh reads 'I'm not in my office currently. Please send any work to be translated.'

Googled 'how many vowels are in Polish language'. Search engine translated 'how many vowels are' into Polish.
When the search engine decides to sass you. I didn't want that translated, but whatever.

Then there's the instances when web servers try to be helpful, but they can't recognize a Celtic language to save their digital lives.

Post by It's Your Wales- Twitter tries to translate it from Polish
Who knew the Polish language looked so much like Welsh? Fooled me.

Music video by Welsh band. YouTube offers auto-generated captions in Spanish
Or that Bwncath sings in Spanish?

YouTube offers auto-translated captions for Dutch... when the video is in Irish.
Ireland, home to about a million Dutch speakers. Though for some reason, they call it Irish Gaelic...

English translation on sign reads "Do not animals".
I bet this was done with translation software, and no English speakers proofread the sign.

Sign in Cardiff has writing in English... and Scottish Gaelic.
This sign in Cardiff seems perfect... except that it's supposed to be written in English and Welsh, not English and Scottish Gaelic.

Google Translate giving nonsensical result- A roaring mountain bug has little to no drum.
Sometimes you can't find an English translation for a song. Luckily, we have Google Translate to help us. But strangely enough, I still don't understand the lyrics...

No comments:

Post a Comment