-->

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Events of Tuesday

Tuesday was a rather interesting day, and I thought I'd share the adventures with you.

Yesterday morning, we got up at eight, because an electrician was supposed to come and replace some of the outlets. I'm not a morning person, and I had got up early the previous two days, so I was grumpy and tired.
Nine o'clock came and went, still no sign of the electrician. Mom had some toast, I ate some leftover pizza. No electrician, no call. Finally, we got tired of waiting. We had shopping and other things to do, so we left around ten thirty.

Drawing of Pikachu with helmet and tool belt
"Pikachu Electrician" by Kawaiichinmoku.

Went to Payless to get some new shoes, because my tennis shoes are ratty-looking. I'm a shoe murderer, I think. Mom's shoes tend to last forever, but mine look like they've been through Mordor, and they're only about two years old.
The store is going out of business, so the shoes were discounted. And let me tell you, shopping was fun. For starters, there's only certain things I like. Second, I tried on shoes in my size, and they felt tight. They would seem too narrow, or be tight on the top arch of my feet. So I had to go up half a size, and eventually found something that I liked and seemed to fit into.
But that was annoying. "This is my size! WHY??? Why does nothing fit???" Then I thought, Hey, maybe the next time I go shoe shopping, I'll have to get a bigger size! And the time after that, and the time after that, and... And I imagined myself becoming Bigfoot, and started laughing to myself in the store.

'Zits' comic- Jeremy asks, 'Has anyone seen my shoes?' Parents have shoes bigger than the sofa next to them and look annoyed.

After doing some other stuff, we went to Tumbleweeds to eat. Then we headed to Lowe's for a different kitchen faucet. On our way there, I spotted something odd. Someone was walking down the sidewalk in a dark cloak and 'Scream' mask, holding a soft drink cup. Nothing to see here, just an ordinary civilian dressing for Halloween seven months early.

Person in a 'Scream' costume
Honestly, the strange things you see. There'll be walking dog igloos next.

When we got to the checkout, Mom couldn't find her debit card. She hunted and hunted in the black hole that is her purse, and finally I said, "Here, I'll pay for it, and then we'll look for the card in the car." (Side note: 'Scream' guy walked into Lowe's while we were at the checkout.)
We got out to the car, and still couldn't find the elusive card. ('Scream' guy leaves Lowe's and walks through the parking lot.) "Wait." Mom said. "I don't remember getting it back after I paid for the food at Tumbleweeds." So we drove back, and it turned out there was a card left at their restaurant. Mom's card.

We returned home, and our day was fairly mundane after that. Mom called the electrician, and discovered there was a job that took longer than expected. But they didn't notify anyone of this, including the secretary, who answered the phone. They're supposed to come today, at nine. Hopefully it'll actually happen this time.
Unfortunately, I forgot to mention the earlier excitement when I was talking to some friends on the phone. The classic problem: you're asked what you've been up to lately, and suddenly every interesting thing you've ever experienced goes out of your head. I'll have to tell them about it later.

Tune in next week, when we explore some cool aspects of other languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment