-->

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Cat of Many Deaths

To begin this post, I might explain that there's a game called 'Untold Tales', based on the 'Warriors' series by Erin Hunter. In the game, you can play as a Clan cat, a rogue, or become a kittypet.
That being said, it's story time. Recently, I had a dream in which I was playing this game. Along with hunting about a billion mice at one point, I got into a fight with some enemy cats. They proved too strong for me, and I had to flee. They chased me across two or three squares of the map (which they wouldn't do in the actual game) before I finally lost them. From there, I tried to get a safe place where no enemies would appear. I planned to wait for nightfall there, when I could sleep and thus regain some of my health.

Screenshot- gray cat at nest, with sleep option inaccessible due to it being daytime in-game.

However, it was not my destiny to get there. Instead, I wound up dying en route to my den. I was then given an option to continue the game, provided I watched an advertisement. I didn't want to start over, so I chose to watch the commercial. It was about an app for watching videos and movies, and supposedly ran well and was very resource-efficient on your PC or smart TV.
I eventually returned to my game, and tried to reach my den, only to be killed again. Interestingly enough, I ended up watching more of the same commercial, which seemed to be on the TV rather than the computer I was playing on. So I got to enjoy the endless advert in between dying again, and again, and (you guessed it) again.
How was I dying, you might ask? Well, my causes of death were truly spectacular. In one instance, I was walking by the road, when a car appeared (not even on the road, when in-game they stay where they belong) and ran me over. Another time, I was hunting a mouse, and was hitting a key to attack it. Hitting the key after the prey is killed causes the cat to play with it (did I mention nothing is accurate to the game?). Since I hit the key a few times, my avatar killed the mouse, then went through the play animation a few times. Each time took one health point from me, and I was thinking, Oh no, I'm going to die. And then I perished from exhaustion brought on by playing with the mouse.

Screenshot- gray cat standing on grass to the left of a road.
For some reason, both deaths I remember occurred in the same square of the map.
As you can see, the road is to the right, going up and down. But the car that killed me came from the left and drove towards the right side of the screen.

I don't recall the other reasons for dying, or if they were actually dreamed. But after multiple failures, I guess I ran out of chances, or the game just got sick of me dying, and I was brought to a screen to create a new character. I didn't want to do that, so I exited the game, then opened it again and loaded my last save.
Around that time, my dream ended, so I didn't get the chance to make it to my den, or die any more. But it was definitely an odd dream. And totally faithful to the realities of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment