-->

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Realities of World-building

I imagine there's lot of people who think world-building is a simple process. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. In fact, it's often more like trying to get somewhere by running in a hamster wheel, or walking up an escalator that's moving down.
Why is it this difficult? Well, the plot keeps changing, the setting keeps changing, the characters are disagreeing with you, the research you did blew your plans to smithereens, and a rubellius fire-drake set fire to your carefully-compiled notes.
Below are a few examples of why I'm not done world-building yet.


Me:  So Xander will continue walking through this setting.
Characters:  Hey, don't you have things to add to your setting?
Me:  You're right. Let me do that.
Characters:  Hey, now that you've placed us here, doesn't that mean all your writing in this setting is inaccurate?
Me:  Why did I do so much of my world-building after-the-fact...

Me:  So I'll call this the Katherine River.
Characters:  You changed the setting, remember?
Me:  But I like this name.
Characters:  (frowns)
Me:  What if I change the spelling? Will that work?

Me:  Okay, you need to change this.
Ruthollens:  But you said we could have this.
Me:  I wasn't entirely serious. I said, 'wouldn't it be interesting', not 'go ahead and do it'. Besides, do you want to discuss what the neighboring kingdom did? I'd like to maintain some semblance of order, and control of this world-building.
Ruthollens:  This is ours. It's been ours for a long time. In fact, it dates back to an age-old story...
Me:  Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. But something has to change.
Ruthollens:  Tell them to change!
Luciseadens:  Hey, wait a second! You specifically told us we could take this! You can't go back on that now!
Me:  Well, somebody has to modify this.
Both Kingdoms:  (crosses their arms and glares at me)
Me:  On second thought, this is fine. But if anybody complains, don't come crying to me! And readers, I want you to know I tried to tell them! But do they listen? No! They're going to break every rule, cross every line! And... (continues ranting)
Characters:  She's just mad because she has to rename the Kyrn River.
Me:  I'm mad because you drove me mad! This has nothing to do with the Kyrn River!

Me:  Hey, what if I renamed the Kyrn River as the Blue River?
Characters:  (death glares)
Me:  Chill, I was just kidding. Or was I...? (runs away laughing as characters throw things at me)
(later on)
Me:  Hey, I came up with the perfect name.
Characters:  What?
Me:  The Blue-grey River!
Characters:  (looking at each other) Why do we put up with her again?

Me:  (spends ages finding the perfect last names for various characters)
Characters:  Wait, this doesn't work.
Me:  What? What do you mean, it doesn't work? This is the perfect last name! It's awesome, it's lovely!
Characters:  Nope. We do naming differently here.
Me:  (sighs) Okay, so I'll revise this a bit.

Me:  I have an idea for a story.
Characters:  MINE!!! (pounces)
Me:  Can't this be separate from the fantasy world?
Characters:  Hey, technically it's ours anyway!

Me:  I discovered this interesting thing! I never realized this before, either that or I forgot.
Characters:  Cool. Let's name a new dog breed after this!
Me:  Wait, what?
Characters:  Yes, totally unique to the fantasy world. So let's see, it'll have to be something like this, and... (begins breeding dogs to achieve the perfect specimen)

Me:  All right, no more phrases with this word. We've overused this word.
Characters:  (look at me with amused expression, because they know rules are flexible and I'm easily bribed with the right Celtic language)
Me:  Right. So we're going to pretend we have self-control.

No comments:

Post a Comment