-->

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Precipitation Theory

So at one point, I lived in California, aka the state that's on fire. And for those who don't know, California was going through a drought for a while. Rain, what's rain? Oh yeah, it was that thing I liked when I was a kid. Anyway, we didn't get nearly enough rain, so that was fun. (Not.)

So one day, I was looking at the forum of a writing group I'm in, and someone in England was complaining about the rain. Not just rain, but endless water that was flooding areas. I pointed out the irony of it all: here I was in a drought, and she's drowning. Jokingly, I said, "Hey, perhaps you could bring that excess water my way." Her reply was along the lines of 'I wish'.
That winter, it rained. And rained, and rained. There was one month where it rained the majority of the days. Perhaps one of the reasons this sticks in my mind is because we were having problems with our phone lines whenever it rained, and no matter how often we complained, it did not get fixed, or they would replace the wrong thing, etc. But I digress. So at one point later on, I wrote to her, "Hey, thanks for bringing those rain clouds over here!"
And it wasn't just California, either. In in another state, other family members of mine were in the Land of Eternal Snow. For a while, my second cousins had more snow days than school days. Being in love with snow, I was definitely envious.

Fast forward to current time. I moved to the same area said family members are. It snowed just before Christmas, so we had a white Christmas (JOY!) and that was nice. But other than that, it only snowed a handful of times, and often didn't stick much or at all. We had rain, of course, but not much snow.
Meanwhile, in the British Isles, it's a totally different story. Here everyone is, minding their own business, when suddenly clouds loom overhead and dump infinite snow on them. Here's snow, there's snow, everywhere is snow, snow. It seems that nowhere is safe from the cold and the white.

So here's my theory. England was getting too much rain, so the precipitation came over here to the US in the form of rain, and snow in the northern and high elevation areas. It stayed there for a while, then came back to the British Isles and flung down all that snow which I really wanted this year, but Ireland and the UK stole it from me...
Ahem. What I mean is, apparently we're trading those clouds back and forth. "Your turn, guys." "Okay, you can have it again now." "Yo, we're sick of this stuff. Take it, please."
Well, either that, or the snow is running away from me. Say, guys, if you don't want all that snow any more, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. (and your roads, and your vehicles, and your houses, and...)

No comments:

Post a Comment