-->

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Why I'd Be a Good Parent

Last week, we discussed reasons I fear I might not be a great parent, complete with my exaggerations and self-depreciating humor. This week, we'll talk about why I might potentially do a decent job of parenting.

Granted, the below image probably isn't it. Didn't you just hate when your evil parent came into your room in the morning, acting far too chipper for such an early hour, and then made you get ready for school?

Father waking up child by being as annoying and perky as possible
'Hedger Humor' comic by Adrienne Hedger.


Teaching Skills

For example, my mother read to me a lot when I was really little. Which is perhaps one of the reasons I could read at such an early age. And there are plenty of other things you can do with your child to teach them important things. One of my friends suggested having them start learning a second language from an early age. (Granted, she also mentioned teaching them to be graceful master assassins, but we won't go into that.)
There's also a number of educational things for young children, such as toys and books. I remember playing a 'Sesame Street' game that taught the alphabet and numbers. Later on, I played computer games like 'Reader Rabbit' and 'JumpStart' that taught various skills, like math. Providing my kids with things like that would help to give them a head start in school, and ultimately become the super-geniuses I dream of raising.
Okay, maybe I'm setting the bar a bit high. But hey, might as well get as close as I can, right?


Being Supportive

I'd like to be the sort of parent that is there to support my kids in whatever they're doing and provide encouragement. A person they can confide in, and feel that I'll always be there for them no matter what. Whether it's something they're passionate about, or if they're going through a hard time, I want to be someone they can count on.


Being a Cool Parent

Need I say more? As a kid, I imagined myself being a cool parent, retaining my imaginative nature and desire for play. I would willingly do all sorts of awesome things with them, provide so many cool things to them.
Hey, let me show you this cool trick I discovered as a child. Bracelets make excellent collars for the right-sized stuffed animals. Oh, you wanted to build a fort in the middle of the living room? Great, let me help! There's a trick to defeating the last boss in 'Kirby's Adventure', let me show you.

Running a DnD campaign with 3 and 5-year-old daughters

I mean, come on. Playing with your kid, hanging out with your kid, and just doing loads of cool things together. Chat, share interests, watch movies, do fun activities...
"Hey, you know that place with all the tides and arcade games? What say we go there this weekend?"
"The fairgrounds are fun, huh? Hey, there's cotton candy over there, we should get some!"

Huge blanket fort in living room for three kids


Educating Them About Important Things

For example, every child should know this silly nonsense song. And be exposed to quality things, like the Nintendo Entertainment System, old Disney films, and the coolest children's books. Oh, and comics. Comics are important. If you haven't read every 'For Better or For Worse' strip ever made, are you really living life to the fullest?
I mean, can't let my kids be the sort who pick up a cassette tape and say, "What is this thing?" They must be wise in the history of things like black and white films, vintage gaming, and good music.
Ah, yes, I can see it now. "Mom's talking about those weird ten-ton computer monitors with the four hundred dials again." "Apparently on our car ride, we're listening to stuff from Mom's childhood again, because she says the early 2000s are far superior to today's hip-hop."


So that concludes this week's blog post about blowing bubbles, filling the house with books and stuffed toys, and envisioning myself as Supermom. Remember to tune in next week for... whatever I decide to write next.

No comments:

Post a Comment