-->

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Children's Misconceptions and Strange Beliefs

When we're kids, sometimes we get some interesting ideas in our heads, including some that are wildly inaccurate, fuelled by lack of knowledge or our imagination.


I read "Bunnicula" by Deborah and James Howe during early grade school, and there's an author's note claiming that the dog brought the finished manuscript to the writer. Therefore, the story is supposedly written by the dog, but published under the author's name. And as a kid, I kind of believed it was. I remember arguing with my family that it was written by the dog, not the man.

Bunnicula- children's chapter book by Deborah and James Howe

In the song "Hotel California" by the Eagles, there's a line that goes "So I called up the Captain, 'Please bring me my wine.' He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.'" For the longest time, I thought the man was talking about a ghost that hadn't been around the hotel since 1969. And I thought it kind of odd how the topic somehow changed from wine to ghosts.

I was certain that "chaos" was pronounced "chah-ohs" rather than "kay-os". Even when I was told otherwise, I didn't listen, and went on happily saying it wrong for a long time.

My thumb joint locked up, and was stuck like that for a while. When it finally unlocked, I was telling my mother that I was glad, because I was afraid it would have to be amputated. My mother couldn't help laughing at that.

I got into my head that when I married, I'd have my last name changed to Wolfhound. I found it confusing when people said, "Oh, gonna marry a guy named Wolfhound, huh?" I was convinced that you could change it to whatever you wanted upon getting married, and didn't want to believe otherwise.

Irish Wolfhound

I had a shirt with the school emblem on it, but I hardly wore it. It seemed like whenever I wore that particular shirt, I would have a lousy day. As a result, I began to think the shirt was bad luck. Whenever I or my parents tried to convince me otherwise, and I wore it, I'd have a bad day again.

I read a comic about some kids who played a prank on a girl, writing 'vengeance' on the wall and convincing her it was a ghost that did it. At one point, I wrote 'vengeance' on a piece of paper and taped it to the wall of my closet, because I thought the word was some sort of welcome to ghosts. I obviously didn't know what it meant.

I had a friend over for a sleepover, and she asked me, "If there was an emergency like a fire, and you could either save your family members or your pets, which would you choose?" I felt awkward about saying I'd pick my family members, because I didn't want to say it in front of my goldfish.

Someone had the pronunciations of 'plaque' and 'plague' mixed up. Their friend discovered this one day when they were discussing the four horsemen of the apocalypse: war, famine, death, and plaque. For years afterward, her friend teased her about plaques of flies and plagues on the wall.

When I was really little, six years old or younger, at night I sometimes wished upon a star that I would turn into a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment