-->

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Back at High School... Again

Recently, I dreamed that I was in high school, and it was the start of the year. First period was history, I think. The teacher was British, and seemed like a pretty cool guy. He was interesting, and made the class seem fun. He was talking for a while, and at one point said something like, "Everyone knows the legend of..." and it was a British legend involving someone slaying a dragon.

Golden dragon perched on rocks

I was thinking to myself, "Actually, most of the students probably haven't heard of it, because history classes don't teach much about British history and legends. Or teach us about anything, really." (Can you tell I'm totally unimpressed by the education system in California? I didn't learn some of the stuff I thought we should be learning about.) And I was hoping that this year we would study something different, something I actually wanted to be taught about.
At one point, he had a few people go up to the board to do something, I'm not sure what. For some reason, instead of markers, he had paintbrushes for writing on the board or the map with. (People were writing on a map pinned on the wall for some reason.) And one kid was frustrated because his paintbrush was huge, and he had no idea how the teacher had managed to write neatly with it. Then we wrote the names of all the kids in the school on the board. There were maybe fifty kids in the entire school.

Paintbrushes in assorted sizes

Class ended, and I had to use the bathroom. The bathroom, like the rest of the school, was huge. It looked like a campus designed for hundreds of kids, not fifty. Anyway, there were a few girls there, along with the janitor. I went into one stall, then discovered the previous occupant hadn't flushed, and had left pee on the seat. For some absurd reason, instead of going to a different stall like I normally would, I got toilet paper and tried to clean it up so I could use the toilet. And even then, I was trying to hover over the toilet instead of sitting on it because I was disgusted by it.
Came out of the stall, and was thinking, "Shoot, I'm probably late for my next class." The janitor was still there, and was really creepy. As I washed my hands, I couldn't wait to get away from him.
I had no idea what was my next class was or where to find it. Then, through a little window in a classroom door, I saw a couple of my friends. (Which actually looked more like Luann's friends from the comic strip.)

'Luann' comic strip panel- Bernice, Delta, volunteering
'Luann' by Greg Evans.

"I hope this is my class." I told them as I walked in, because of course, I wanted to be in the same class as my pals. I looked at the sheets of paper which contained my schedule. It was really confusing, and I was having trouble figuring it out.
"Oh, I'm supposed to be in this other class. Wait, no, I'm looking at third period. Second period is, uh..." And for some reason, it was written instead of typed, and whoever wrote it had handwriting that was hard to decipher. "Math, I think? Why am I in math? It's senior year, and I took three years of math already. I shouldn't have math this year." I did not want to take another math class, as you can tell.
I was going to grab my backpack and head towards the class I was supposed to be in, then couldn't find it. I thought I had left it on one of the tables, or on the floor, but it was nowhere. Then I saw the janitor's cart in the hall, with my backpack and coat hanging from it. I must have left them in the bathroom, I thought, I grabbed them and hurried away, not wanting to run into the janitor.
My friends offered to walk with me to my class, which I thought unnecessary, since I could find it myself and they had their own class to attend. But whatever. I was complaining to my friends about how I disliked the janitor, and could tell they were totally confused. Ah well, I thought, I'll explain it to them later. I headed outside, and was still en route to my class when I woke up.

Anyway, I graduated high school almost seven years ago now. When will I actually be done with school? 'Cause I'm really tired of math class, let me tell you...

No comments:

Post a Comment