-->

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Things I Learned From Playing Neopets

Back in late 2003, when I was short and still believed I could find a leprechaun on St. Patrick's Day, I came across these battery-operated creatures in the toy aisles of a store. They looked cool, so naturally, I wanted one. I chose a red scorchio, which looked like a little dragon.

Interactive neopet by Thinkway Toys- red scorchio

Upon opening the package, I found that there was a website relating to this toy. A virtual pet site, to be exact, where one could adopt these creatures and explore a virtual world. I remember Mom helping me to create an account. At the time, my favorite stuffed animal was a little gray cat called Meow, and I had recently acquired a toy dog I named Mocha, after the dog of a family we knew. My mother suggested 'Meowmocha' as a username. (Which, as you can see, I've used on other sites since then.)
With my account created, and my scorchio by my side, the Neopets saga began. A long, exciting saga which has yet to end. And looking at the years I've spent playing it, I realize I've learned a few things from being there.

Old neopet art- red scorchio, circle


Money Management

In the early days of playing Neopets, I wasn't exactly wise with my money. Neopoints slipped through my fingers like a sieve. But over time, I learned to manage my virtual currency better. I got better at saving money, and not making frivolous purchases. I learned some good ways to make money on the site, and cheap ways of acquiring the things I needed to care for my pets.


Web Design

Behold, Hypertext Markup Language, or HTML for short. The scary stuff that appears when you hit the wrong keys and bring up a strange sidebar full of gobbledygook on your browser. It's also a programming language which is essentially the building blocks of web design.

Developer tools sidebar on Google Chrome
Other programming languages like CSS and Javascript sometimes appear here, too.

On Neopets, you can customize things like your shop, user lookup, pet lookups, petpages... However, you couldn't just hit buttons to make text bold, or add an image. Everything had to be <i>coded.</i> The website had an HTML guide with a few of the basics. Other things, I found from more detailed guides people made on their petpages. From this, I learned a bit of web design. Nothing too advanced, but I acquired some basic knowledge of HTML, and later, a bit of CSS.


Roleplay

I first started doing online roleplaying when I was considering joining a guild on Neopets. (It's basically a sort of group.) I'd never done any sort of roleplay, but I saw an RP guild that looked interesting. So I joined the group, and was introduced to the world of chat-based roleplaying. I've since been involved in other roleplay groups on Neopets and other websites.


Writing Communities

At some point, I also joined a writing guild. We discussed writing, gave advice and story critiques, and chatted. My time in that group helped me improve my writing skills, and introduced me to some great resources, among other things.

Neopets- white weewoo with feather quill and paper.



Yes, it's a virtual pet site, a game site. But it's been more than that. It's a part of my childhood, of my teen years, and I remain active on the site to this day. It's been a place of learning and of growth,
Does anyone else have a game or other thing from their younger years, which had a large impact on them? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment