-->

Thursday, September 29, 2016

How To Ruin a Book

 (beware of spoilers)

During Bible study, we were reading about David, and the various problems he faced. We began discussing flawed relationships, and I suddenly recalled a fantastic example of this.
"In a book I read," I said, "this girl was in love with a guy who had a ton of huge, glaring character faults. I thought to myself, 'How can she not see all the problems with this guy? How can she be in love with him? Bleah.' Then they were going to get married, and just before the wedding, she discovered that the guy already was married. His wife was mentally ill, though, so he kept her hidden in the house so no one would find out about it."
"That's a really awful story." the leader of the Bible group said. "What's the name of that book, so I can avoid it?"
"Jane Eyre." I replied.
As a side notes, one of my favorite parts of the book was when Mr. Rochester describes his earlier behavior as 'priggish'. Hit the nail right on the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment