-->

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Working With a Short Attention Span

Sometimes, my attention span cooperates with me. I sit down to write and am extremely productive. In a single day, thousand of words pour from me and onto the computer screen.
Other times, my attention span wanders. It becomes necessary to check my e-mail. And grab a snack. And wander around. And accomplish nothing productive. Sometimes, my attention span and I have rather interesting exchanges as I try to make it work with me and not against me.


Me:  Come on, focus on the story!
Attention Span:  Oh look, a butterfly! (runs off)
Me:  Come back here!
Attention Span:  Hey, isn't this a great song?
Me:  Yes. The story is great, too.
Attention Span:  Remember that funny thing on TV the other day?
Me:  Hey, Attention Span, I've got a biscuit here.
Attention Span:  Biscuit?
Me:  Yes, a biscuit. A really yummy biscuit.
Attention Span:  Biscuit! (jumps up and down excitedly)
Me:  Yes, and it's a chocolate chip biscuit, too.
Attention Span:  Please! Give me the biscuit! Please, please!
Me:  You can have the biscuit-
Attention Span:  Yay! (wags tail)
Me:  But first, you have to work on this story for a while.
Attention Span:  Work on the story?
Me:  Yes, and then you'll get the biscuit.
Attention Span:  I'll work on it! I promise! Really, I will!
Me:  All right. Let's get to work.
Attention Span:  Biscuit! (hops into the writer's chair)
Me:  Good. Now we're getting somewhere. (pats Attention Span on head)
Attention Span:  Come on, let's get to work so I can have that biscuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment