-->

Monday, October 27, 2014

Halloween, part 1

Over the years I've been on this earth, there has been this curious phenomenon known as Halloween. It's this day at the end of October, when kids are encouraged to dress up in fun costumes and go around begging for candy. For a long time, I engaged in this awesomeness, ending up with an assortment of sweet treats, some of which were eaten ASAP, while those I didn't like were left to rot, until my mother cleaned out the fridge many moons later and threw them out.
While I don't remember all of the costumes I've ever had, I can recall a few. I had one costume in which I was a reptile. I think I remember having a bat costume at one point. Yet another had pink tiger print, and my current one is a gray tabby cat. I think the longest back I recall is when I had a cheetah costume. Now that I think about it, I realize I've had a lot of feline-related costumes.

A great deal of memories come to me when I think of Halloween. My elementary school would have a day when booths were set up, and the classes went around to each booth, playing games to earn prizes, which of course were things such as cheap plastic rings with spiders on them, and of course candy. The prizes given out were brought to the school by various staff members and parents. Despite the school saying a thousand times not to bring gum, it seemed that someone included it, and so gum ended up among the prizes. Gum can be a wonderful thing, although I distinctly remember finding one type of gum that was... bleah. As I put it into my mouth and began to chew, I thought to myself, I've never tasted a car tire, but I imagine this is what it would taste like. Needless to say, it did not stay in my mouth for long.

There's also an event in the area known as Trick or Trunk. People set up their vehicles in a large area, decorating them with Halloween stuff, and giving out candy. Basically it's just Trick or Treating, only the kids go from car to car instead of door to door. Seeing as it's a remote area, and no one wants to walk three hundred miles to get from house to the next, it's a pretty good idea.
Of course, there was also the regular Trick or Treat, going around to houses or even sometimes to stores, in hopes that they would give out wonderful candy. I recall going to stores or other such places, and the things that came of it. Once, walking into a place that my father said probably wasn't giving out candy, I came to a woman behind the counter and said the familiar phrase 'Trick or treat!'.
"You're the first kid to come in here." she said. She stretched her hand out wide, grabbed an enormous handful of candy from the bowl, and dumped it into my bag. It was wonderful.

So that sums up my monologue about Halloween for now. If any of you have some Halloween experiences you'd like to share, feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment